Prints and Publishing

Prints and publishing rights are available by contacting the photographer at paulfarrier@gmail.com.

All rights reserved. © 2004, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009

Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Bear's Mill - Greenville, Ohio


Traveling east over Greenville, Ohio, I stopped by Bear's Mill, asked the proprietor, Terry Clark, if he minded if I took some photos on his property. He seemed to be delighted. It just so happens that he was just starting a tour with a group and so I tagged along. I was invited to join in for free but I made a donation anyway.

The tour was informative and entertaining. We made our way from the 1st floor all the way to the 4th floor. The group was disappointed there was not a 5th floor - that's how well it was going.
The above image was captured on the 2nd floor. When I first saw it, I thought it would make a great black and white. As I was looking at various Black and White samples, I began to miss the red wagon. I kept the color version.

The Mill is on the historic register and is still operating. It has a very nice store and a small but nice art gallery on the first floor. They serve coffee and sell home made candies and cookies. Their coffee is the Boston Stoker brand, which I purposely mention because of the delightful coffees they produce. So, I had some coffee. It was delicious.

This photo is of Terry, standing in the art gallery. His wife is an artist - she works a lot with clay and pottery. I have a feeling she has a lot to do with how well the Mill looks. I don't usually create images of others art work because it is an infringement on their rights. Because this photo is not of a particular piece, and because this is a "journal", I can display it without causing an offense.

However, photos I place here are copyrighted and if you would like to copy and send to a friend electronically - that is fine. Of course, I would sincerely appreciate it if you reference me and my blog. If you want prints - then contact me and I'll create prints from the original full size file, just for you, for a fair price. And if you would care to use any of my images for publications then - yahHOOO! I mean, let's talk.

Straight on shots like this are not usually preferred. Folks like to put a little angle to it and give the image some depth. I chose this one because what I could do with it. The original image was created with a wide angle lens standing in some grass on the other side of the street. In this image it appears that the building may be a few hundred feet away from me - but it was much less than what it appears.



The problem with a wide angle lens is that it can distort and bend straight lines. When photographing buildings, the distortion can make the building look much different than it is. Yet I, having special powers, was able to correct for the distortion and create a fairly good representation of the front of the Mill.

A good technique for making photos look a bit older than what they are is to create layers and work with the transparency of each layer. This was a simple image at first and was very easy to alter. After cropping and resizing, I created a second layer and totally desaturated the color - so it appeared as a black and white. I then gave it a sepia tone (brownish). Then I adjusted the transparency of that layer so I could see the full color version - as much as I wanted - which was beneath it. The result is an older look similar to "colorized" black and whites photos from yesteryear.

"Yesteryear". Now that's a word from... well, yesteryear.

No comments:

Post a Comment