Prints and Publishing

Prints and publishing rights are available by contacting the photographer at paulfarrier@gmail.com.

All rights reserved. © 2004, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009

Friday, June 26, 2009

Lincoln Highway - Western Lancaster County, Pennsylvania


When traveling west from Lancaster on the Lincoln Highway, I first stopped at the Lincoln Highway Diner. The new stainless steel cladding like diners back in the 1950's - perhaps earlier. I had breakfast there. Not that you asked but I had three eggs, home fries, corned beef hash, toast, glass of orange juice, and ice water. I asked for some hot sauce but I decided not to wait but to go ahead and eat while the food was warm. The food was good - relative to, say, the Brunch Club in Dayton, where the same order would be excellent - as well as the service.

I appreciate their "Americana Spirit" and they certainly deserve patronage of their community and Lancaster County tourists.

While in the Diner, I saw a photo hung high on a wall of a bridge. I thought perhaps the significant of the bridge was that it may be local. It is, I found it just minutes after I left the diner. This is where the original Lincoln Highway, Old US Route 30 passed over the Susquehanna River in Columbia. It is a very nice bridge in excellent condition.

Although I have photos without a person in it, I decided that I would add the human element.

After spending quite some time there on the east end of the bridge I did the inevitable - I crossed over to the other side.

The community on the other side was unidentified. In fact, my GPS navigation system identified at as a township, even though it looked at least like a village to me. Not until I did some research did I find out that the town is Wrightsville, in York County, Pennsylvania. The Bridge is the Columbia - Wrightsville Bridge.

The GPS made it easy for me to find the right streets to take me down to the banks of the river and I found a place where there was a remnant of a canal (not shown) and a grandfather from Nashville, Pennsylvania having a good time fishing with his grandson.

The river looked a little high to me and they confirmed it. They also gave me a little history on the canal.
I appreciate the time and the conversation with them. Grandfathers fishing with their grandsons is time very well spent. Perhaps I will get to do the same when my grandchildren get older.

1 comment: