Prints and Publishing

Prints and publishing rights are available by contacting the photographer at paulfarrier@gmail.com.

All rights reserved. © 2004, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009

Saturday, June 13, 2009

Coyote

As I drove past a small field, the coyote was focused on prey hidden in the clumps of mowed tall grass. It seem to have not noticed me and I barely picked its tan and straw colored figure which blended into the environment so well. I drove past a little ways, stopped and turned around. As I drove by the small field again, I did not see it. Disappointed, I found another place to turn around, and started slowly back up the highway, northeast - my original direction, with the passenger window down and the telephoto lens mounted and the camera ready. I really did not expect to see the coyote again - but there it was. About 100 yards off and it noticed I was not just a passing car - I was going much slower than previous traffic. About 50 yards out, she took off for the brush and I barely was able to get a few shots before she slipped out of sight.

The composition of the uncropped image tells how I was lucky to get her at all.

This photo was taken this past Thursday evening on the Natchez Trace Parkway, not far from Tupelo, Mississippi.

As a side note, I've seen alligators, turtles, beaver, deer, coyote, turkeys, pheasant, raccoon, lizards, skunk, groundhogs, stray dogs, and a cattle stampede while traveling the Natchez Trace Parkway.

No comments:

Post a Comment