Prints and Publishing

Prints and publishing rights are available by contacting the photographer at paulfarrier@gmail.com.

All rights reserved. © 2004, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009

Saturday, June 13, 2009

Walking for Peace


His name is Dermot Butterly and he is walking for peace.

I was travling on the Natchez Trace Parkway just south of Nashville, Tennessee and I saw this "hiker" turned "hitchhiker". He didn't appear to be a serial killer so I stopped and gave him a lift. He was going back to camp.

He introduced himself as Dermot and announced what he was doing. "I'm walking from LA to DC for peace." He is more or less a disciple of Mohandas Gandhi and an advocate of non-violent protest. He is softselling his stand against the war in Iraq by asking others how they feel about it and pointing out how war is not the best solution to solving political problems. His organization appears to be not only about talking of peace, it is also helping to take care of an impoverished village in India through GandhiPeaceMarch.org

I took Dermot to his camp where it was set up near the gravesite of Meriwether Lewis, who was a great American explorer commissioned along with William Clark to map out the vast wilderness acquired via the Louisiana Purchase of 1803. This was the beginning of the great blessings of the American people.
Dermot is genuine and sincere - and committed. He also bribed me with a cup of tea to say that of him. Not actually, but in so many words. He said, "Would you like a cup of tea?" / "Earl Gray, hot." Was my reply. But I knew what he was getting at.

I asked him if I could share this information with others on my blog and he agree to pose. I also found this nifty thing on YouTube. Check it out...


No comments:

Post a Comment